For the City of Houston Swimming Pool Permit Applications
Department of Health and Human Services (Bureau of Consumer Health Service) Minimum Standards for Residential Pool/ Spa Plan Submission.
- Submit 2 complete sets of pool plans
- Submit a plot survey that includes the address and the fence line, Highlight the entire fence line and all gates for primary pool yard enclosure. Chapter 43, Section 43-33 of the City of Houston Code of Ordinances mandates that all gates must be “self-closing” and “self-latching,” meaning that all gates will automatically close and latch without human or electrical power after it has been opened.
- Show pool construction company/contractor on each page of plans.
- Provide name and address of pool owner on each page of plans.
- Specify the color of the plaster of sides and bottom of pools and spas. Plaster color should be white or other light color.
- Specify the filter type(s).
- Specify backwash through p-trap to sanitary sewer for all diatomaceous earth (DE) and high-rate sand (HRS) filters.
- All skimmers must be shown on plan.
- Indicate chlorination or sanitation system.
- All main drains must be ANSI/APSP-16 2011 (VGB compliant). This rating must be shown on plans.
- Specify pump horsepower and/or flow rates.
- Specify the type of backflow prevention device on pool fill line (6-inch or greater air gap, check valve on water to cutoff valve, or siphon breaking valve downstream to cutoff valve).
- Show the hose bib(s) in pool area. Specify backflow prevention for hoses in pool area.
- Provide fence and gate details (drawings) for all types of fencing to be used (wood, wrought iron, existing chain link etc.).
- All Plans must provide pool measurements and total pool gallons for each pool.
HOUSTON RESIDENTIAL SWIMMING POOLS
- No opening or gaps in either direction to be 2006 International Residential Code. greater than 4″.
- Gate/Door to be self-dosing & self-latching with latches in upper
More information visit the City of Houston website: